Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Review: Kitty's Big Trouble

Reviewed by Jen
 
It's road trip time for Kitty Norville.  Remember the vampire Anastasia from Kitty's House of Horrors?  She's back and she's asking Kitty to come to San Francisco to retrieve an object of great power.  Evil and super-old vampire Roman is after it too, so Kitty hits the road with Ben and Cormac, headed to the west coast.

The object, which Anastasia calls "the pearl" is hidden in the underground tunnels of Chinatown. And as our group of heroes goes searching for it, they get wrapped up in some ancient Chinese mythology.  Kitty realizes, once again, how much she still doesn't know about the supernatural world. But even in the face of gods, she holds on to her fighting spirit and struggles to do the right thing, while protecting the two people she cares most about.

I suppose it sounds good at face value, but I felt unengaged for most of the book.  Yes, there was a little danger, but I guess the key word here is little.  There was virtually no tension for me to latch on to. I mean, the series has completely lost anything resembling a romantic or sexual tension. Ben is a nice guy; he loves Kitty; she loves him; blah, blah, blah.  Cormac is there as some bizarre, possessed, third-wheel/bodyguard.  Any excitement about any of them is long gone, as Vaughn has clearly made the Kitty/Ben pairing permanent and unshakeable. 

There is also no personal investment in the story arc. Kitty is doing Anastasia a favor. Yeah, it has greater implications, but the entire mission feels removed from Kitty's life.  It's not like Vaughn will kill off Kitty, Cormac or Ben ... and if she would have killed off Anastastia, Henry, Grace or Sun, I can't say I would have cared. So that leaves me... well... uninvested.   

It wasn't a bad book.  I liked it, but I didn't love it.  It just kind of felt like a bridge to intensify the conflict between Kitty and Roman.  3 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by Tor Books

Kitty's Big Trouble
by Carrie Vaughn
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Publisher: Tor Books 

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 10:40:00 AM CDT , Blogger Michelle Greathouse said...

Jen,

I am so far behind in this series. I lost interest with Kitty fairly quickly because she didn't have much of a back bone. I think it was when she let herself be locked in a cage and just sat there with her head on her paws. LOL

Has she toughened up as the series has progressed?

M

 
At Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 10:41:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes, she has. In fact, she has become the alpha of her own pack. Her character has grown alot over the course of the series.

Jen

 
At Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 11:37:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blarg. I didn't LOVE the last one as much as the previous ones and I am not enthused over this one either. Your review is telling me exactly what I've been concerned about. I'll still read it of course! But yeah.

 
At Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 11:43:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I thought about you when I was reading this... since I know you were enjoying the earlier books. (**sigh**) I don't want to give up on the series, but it needs to get an infusion of the spark it once had.

 
At Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 2:30:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Jen, my cover is the UK one, well the new release one :D

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home