Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Magic Slays


Reviewed by Jen
 
Coming off the high of the spectacular ending of Magic Slays, I've been staring at the computer for 10 minutes, trying to figure out why it took me a little while to really get into this book. And I think I've finally come up with the answer.

As the story begins, Kate is running the new agency that Curran set up for her since she has left the Order.  But despite her competence and reputation, she doesn't have any clients.  But just as her best friend Andrea returns from a two month absence, Kate is hired to find a missing man and the mysterious device he has built.  She investigates; she is snarky; she is magic and bad-ass.  But (insert light bulb here) I wasn't very invested in any of it, because Kate seemed to have no stake in it all, beyond completing a job.  No justice mission like she had when searching for Greg's killer; no revenge for a brutal attack on a friend; no saving the world from a deranged aunt. Just a job.

It was when Kate realized what the device could do and what it would mean to her world, that I began to perk up. And then we were off and running.  Without spoiling too much, I'll say that the device could have huge ramifications on Kate and all those she loves, if it is activated.  And as we get into the second half of the book, Kate encounters a personal crisis, that makes her willing to risk everything to fix it.  It's when Kate is desperate and loyal and determined that she is at her best.  And here she shines, a heroine in the greatest sense.

Curran is back as Kate's mate, and I was worried that some of the spark would be missing from their relationship, now that it's more permanent. But Kate's paranoia keeps them from falling into the old-married couple routine.  She still has questions about whether things can work for them long-term. But as the story progresses, he proves himself to be an utterly worthy hero.  And I still enjoyed the fire between them.

For the last third of the book, I was completely unable to put it down. The ending was utterly fantastic and sets up even more drama for the next installment.  I can't imagine that Kate is keeping her secret for much longer. 4 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by Penguin Group USA

Magic Slays
by Ilona Andrews
Release Date: May 31, 2011
Publisher: Ace  

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 4, 2011 at 3:12:00 PM CDT , Blogger JJ said...

The next installment in this series cannot come fast enough for me! I'm in love with Kate and Curran. I want to know what happens to every one. Her secret is basically bursting at the seams to come out!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home