Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Armchair BEA: The Best of 2011


So far, I've read around 200 books this year. There have been some real stinkers. But there have been a handful worth a special mention.  So without further ado, I give you my favorite books of 2011 (so far.)


by Karen Marie Moning

OK, this was an easy one. Not only has Shadowfever been my favorite book of the year, but currently reigns as my favorite book ever. Sadly, if you haven't read the other books in Moning's Fever series, I can't put this book in your hands and tell you to start reading. Part of what makes this book so spectacular is that it's the culmination of a story told over the course of five books. It answers burning questions; it solves mysteries; it quenches desires. I doubt it would even make sense if you haven't read the previous installments. But let me tell you, if you like dark urban fantasy, even a little bit, I urge you to try this exceptional series It starts with Darkfever.


by Kim Harrison

It's not that unusual for series to span nine books or beyond. But usually, by this point, most authors are starting to lose steam. Not Kim Harrison. Her Rachel Morgan series is better than ever. Rachel finally embraces the fact that she is more than just a witch. She is bold and fiery and fantastic. Her relationships continue to grow and change. And Harrison finally gave me a book that didn't make me cry. (It's been a long time since she's done that!) The Hollows didn't knock me over from the first book, but it gets better and better over time. Pale Demon is the best one yet.

by Ilona Andrews


I haven't met a Kate Daniels story that I didn't like.  Kate is a snarky, magic-filled, fire-weilding bad ass.  And I love her.  I can't say this was my favorite in the series.  That honor still goes to Magic Bleeds.  But this series on its worst day, still puts most other books to total shame. 
by Amanda Stevens
  
This book was a fantastic surprise.  It was dark; it was edgy; it was suspenseful.  And I was completely captivated.  This is the first in a new series called the Graveyard Queen. The female lead, Amelia, works as a cemetery restorer and can see ghosts.  But it's a secret she guards well because if the ghosts ever figure it out, her life will never be the same.  Throw in a murder mystery and a haunted love interest and you've got one hell of a great story.  I can't wait until the sequel.





Honorable Mention:

by Colleen Gleason
It's a rare thing for me to be truly surprised by a book. But this one did it in a big way.

Burn the Night
by Jocelynn Drake
This was a fantastic ending to the Dark Days series.  It won't come out until June, but I'll post my review on Wednesday, June 1.

by Sophie Littleton
Dark, edgy and different. With zombies.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 10:50:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

LOL, your list looks a lot like mine! Great picks (if I do say so myself)
http://booksavvybabe.blogspot.com

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 1:16:00 PM CDT , Blogger Sarah said...

Most of those I have HEARD about and even have on my TBR shelf, but none of them I have read. I've heard so much about the Fever series too. I really need to get to it.

Actually, I've been struggling between which series to start next, Fever or Kate Daniels, which one would you say I should go with first?

~ Sarah ♥ I'm Loving Books

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 1:34:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Oooh! That's a good question Sarah. They are both excellent series! It depends on your level of commitment and what you're in the mood for. Kate Daniels is going to be an easier read. You can read a few of them and come back to it later if you want a break. It's got a lot of action, but it will make you laugh too.

The Fever books are much more intense. Each ends on a major cliffhanger, so you'll likely want to read them all back to back. They are dark and complicated and wonderful, but in a very different way. Does that help at all?

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 3:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Stephanie said...

200!! Holy crap!!! I'm lucky if I have time to read 1 book in 2 weeks! Yay for you!!!!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 5:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Sarah said...

Jen...Yes and no! lol They both sound really good, but I guess I should probably go with the Kate Daniels first since I can't really commit to reading the Fever books all in a row right now, cause I have too many other things I'm reading as well.

So yeah, I guess that did help! lol :-P

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 7:47:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVED Shadowfever. It is definitely one of my top favs for the year. I had the pleasure of going to Littlefield's Aftertime signing. She is an incredible person to spend an hour with. She has some crazy stories!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 10:38:00 PM CDT , Blogger Michelle said...

I have been meaning to read PALE DEMON one of these days!

Great list. Thanks for sharing!

 
At Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 10:44:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jocelynn Drake said...

*Happy Dance!!* I am so glad that you liked Burn the Night! I'm so nervous about readers getting that book. It was probably one of my favorites to write out of the series and I am so hoping that readers like it.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home