Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Review: Silver Bound


Reviewed by Jen
 
About 50 pages into this book, I was pretty sure I didn’t like it.  The story centered on a woman named Jewel who was turned into a sex slave. She had been trying to escape her crime lord husband with their son, but he caught her. He had her memory erased –and had nanobots inserted into her, er, erogenous zones. Then the scientists were supposed to synch his DNA with the technology on her body to force her to respond to his urges.  But Jewel’s real true love, Guy, gets to her first. She’s halfway through the procedure (called silvering), so he can’t stop it, but he has her matched to his DNA first… because he knows he’ll never abuse her. So now she’s his sex slave until he finds a way to free her from the chains of the technology.

I’m glad I didn’t give up on the book, because it did get better. My biggest complaints initially were that I couldn’t make myself care about Jewel and the plot device of the silvering seemed heavy-handed.  Well, as the book progressed and Jewel began to regain her personality, that helped me with my first issue.  And once we got to the first real love scene, frankly nothing else mattered, because it was HOT.  All the love scenes were hot. Big thumbs up there.

The setting was kind of futuristic-western… kind of reminiscent of Joss Whedon’s “Firefly,” but with hot sex.  There was some terminology it took me a little while to completely assimilate, but it wasn’t insurmountable. Overall, a short and fairly good read, though it took me a little while to make a connection.  3 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home